Actions on the Vals site
- Taking part in the SEMEAU project specialist groups: The Director of SITHERE will take part in the specialist group set up by DANONE and will organise a visit by the group to the site at Vals les Bains.
- Carrying out of demonstration actions on quantitative water management in a Mediterranean context. The Vals site is situated in the south of the local government area of the Ardèche, and is part of the ground water body known as the « Cevennes block, catchment area of the Ardèche and the Cèze » and the water body of the « Volane » water course. A large number of springs, more than 150 in the past and of which about thirty remain in use today, spring from the foot of a small wooded slope which extends over 250 hectares. The operating zone extends over roughly 4000 hectares mainly covered with forest, pasture and unused land. With the loss of agricultural activity, orchards, chestnut groves, and a whole series of small scale civil engineering works influencing infiltration (such as low walls, terraces, springs, and irrigation channels) on the slope have been abandoned.
- Designing and deployment of awareness and educational tools on conservation of water resources by agricultural and forestry activities in a Mediterranean context.
- Carrying out of a pilot communication operation on conserving water resources in a Mediterranean context. This campaign includes creating an educational resources package and exchange and awareness sessions with players at the local level and with the public on the impact of agricultural and sylvan practice on water. In the Mediterranean context of Vals the emphasis will be placed on quantitative management of water beginning with the rediscovery of the ancient hydraulic heritage (old wells, irrigation channels...).
- Taking part in management of the project.Participation of SITHERE in the overall management of the project covers in particular:
- planning and management of actions planned on the site at Vals les bains: monitoring of the effective application of the proposed measures, monitoring deadlines and checking of material (material delivered)
- information feedback to the project manager, in accordance with instructions for finalising detailed in the initial report.